Monday, August 24, 2009

Ramadan

I had a great day today, although I'm not really feeling well. I've been busy for these past days, and now I have a bad backache and my arms almost feels like numb.

There are few changes here, last week, we enjoyed feasting on lots of foods every time my board mates gather here in our boardinghouse and we stay up late at night, talk about what happened in whatever we've been through the whole day. But now, its different. Ramadan started last 2 days, and I have a Muslim friend who refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, and indulging in anything that is in excess or ill-natured from dawn until dusk. I admired them for being so disciplined. I am a Christian but I even attempted to try to do it, but i surrendered after one day. :( I am not that disciplined...

Well, I got so curious about their religion and culture so i asked lots of questions about it and do some reseach.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It is the time to fast for the sake of Allah, and offer more prayer than usual. Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds. Ramadan was the month in which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.

I read more articles about Muslim traditions, its interesting. And now, I am patiently waiting till its Eid ul-Fitr. Its the end of fasting and lots of foods are being served and enjoyed by families and friends.

2 comments:

  1. it's not easy fasting so many days!!
    got more info from ur post..
    thnx 4 ur comments..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't commented in a while, I just started school. I hope your back is better. I just wanted to say that is post is really interesting. I honestly didn't know about Ramadan. I sounds a little bit like lent but much more difficult. Hope to hear from you soon!
    Peace
    Amy

    ReplyDelete